Current:Home > FinanceNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthRise Academy
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 01:10:56
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (88688)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Biden grants clemency to 16 nonviolent drug offenders
- TikTok has promised to sue over the potential US ban. What’s the legal outlook?
- Tyler Herro, Miami Heat shoot down Boston Celtics in Game 2 to tie series
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- U.S. orders cow testing for bird flu after grocery milk tests positive
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Double Date With Gigi Hadid and Bradley Cooper
- Inflation surge has put off rate cuts, hurt stocks. Will it still slow in 2024?
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Reggie Bush will get back 2005 Heisman Trophy that was forfeited by former USC star
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Ryan Reynolds, Rob McElhenney talk triumph, joy and loss in 'Welcome to Wrexham' Season 3
- Billie Eilish opens up about lifelong battle with depression: 'I've never been a happy person'
- Tennessee House kills bill that would have banned local officials from studying, funding reparations
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Can you prevent forehead wrinkles and fine lines? Experts weigh in.
- The Latest | Israeli strikes in Rafah kill at least 5 as ship comes under attack in the Gulf of Aden
- Columbia’s president, no stranger to complex challenges, walks tightrope on student protests
Recommendation
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
Worst U.S. cities for air pollution ranked in new American Lung Association report
Courteney Cox recalls boyfriend Johnny McDaid breaking up with her in therapy
Senators demand accounting of rapid closure plan for California prison where women were abused
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Authorities confirm 2nd victim of ex-Washington officer was 17-year-old with whom he had a baby
Los Angeles marches mark Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day
Dolphin found dead on a Louisiana beach with bullets in its brain, spinal cord and heart